"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Roads are my meat-grinder

So, the shin splints have gotten me. Again. (Ultimately why Shut-In didn't happen last year.) I had switched to a majority of roads for about two weeks, some to save gas, some to try and utilize my location for what it is, and some to run with my Smoky Mountain Relay friends. I'm not sure what actually did me in, but the roads, speed drills against my friend Marc, or different shoes could all be likely reasons.

I found myself having to back out of some races, and back off in others. I have decided to do just a half marathon in LeHigh Valley, and am not going to get the Triple Lakes run in at all. My friend Brenda has told me to pick the one I want to focus on, and not worry about the others. Easier said than done, but I'm trying.

I have been biking and hiking. I tried a barefoot trail run because I knew it'd make me go slow, and ended up breaking my toe. I have gotten up to almost 3 miles barefoot each run so I don't think it was anything to do with the shins, just the Universe telling me to keep resting.

It's heartbreaking. I don't feel like I have gotten the outdoor time I need, despite a 9 hour hike yesterday. I have discovered that it's not the outdoor time, it's the type of outdoor time. It's the running. It's the love of the feeling. So I am limiting myself - or trying to. Shut-In training starts the first of August. I got the email last week. Heal heal heal. Don't start with an injury. I'll run it fast or slow if healthy, but not if injured.

Here's to you, land of trails, may I run with you soon.

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Anxious does not describe how much I want to go run after almost of week of rest. Have hit the gym for a miscellany of stuff every day this week though. Still planning on the 15k...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we may just be walking together at the back. I've got to learn where to push and where not to. Nothing seems to substitute a good, exhausting, hunger-inducing trail run. Can't wait to see you at the 15k!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen--
    I found your blog while googling "River Bound Race Series" to see what others had to say about it. I enjoyed reading about your running adventures. You've had some great races!
    I'm running the 15K this saturday. I'll look for you and say hi!

    -Pearce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I'm glad you have enjoyed my ramblings! RBRS is really fun, and the people are always great. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete