"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Thursday, July 29, 2010

2.16 miles of hell

So I tried something new.

In light of my upcoming inaugural triathlon, (in addition to the fact that I have worked and not done any exercise in 4 days), I decided to do a hard bike ride, then tack on a few miles running. I have done both before, but I always run first because I feel I would be less likely to be injured if I am running strong and biking weak. So...

When I bike, my right knee always gives me some weird trouble. I don't know how else to describe it. Occasionally my left has patellar pain too, it always goes away when I stop biking. So I went on my bike ride, a little after noon so it was hot as crap.

I have heard there is some threshold you meet at 90 minutes of exercise so I wanted to be running after I had reached that threshold. (I don't really know what I am talking about, I guess I need to do some research.) I ended up doing a little over 11 miles in 91 minutes (not overachieving here). Bike Portion Well, I took a little time in loading up my bike and switching shoes... and off I went.

My right knee felt like someone had put glue into the joint. It was incredibly stiff and painful. And it wasn't just that outer part that usually hurts when I run, it was the entire freaking joint. So, 0.11 in, I walked. I stretched that knee and popped it about 12 times, thinking this would loosen it up. Over the course of the 2.16 miles, I walked multiple times. My average pace was 10:30. Run Portion There goes my 22:00 5k after the swim and bike sections I was hoping for.

It was really frustrating. I wanted to keep running, but I was exhausted. I'd walk for a bit, then felt great, like I could run and actually pick up the pace, but about 75 steps in, I'd feel exhausted again. Every time. It was kind of funny, in a way. I hadn't had anything but breakfast, but I don't think that was it. That's a transition I am going to have to get used to. I wasn't too hard on myself though. It was a first, and that's how they go sometimes. It's good because it gives me something to work on.

And now for my quick ADHD pharagraph...

I don't really sweat incredible amounts - especially my face. Even if it's 90 degrees, I usually just bead up on my face. Today I don't know why, because it was only 83 or something, but I was pouring sweat. Come to think of it, I did drink my CamelBak dry. It was awesome though, I love to sweat. I drove a ways up Bent Creek Gap, and sat in the river for about 10 minutes to cool down my legs.

Therefore, my plan now, is to try and bike just even a little, before each run. I kept thinking of that triathlon I watched on Universal Sports. They were flying. I figure this will get me into incredible shape, because it totally kicked my ass today. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment