"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Plea for Help

Thinking of trying a new pair of shoes.

My cousin gave me some words of wisdom. He is a life-long runner as well as multiple Boston qualifier - way under the time cut-off. I figured he may know a thing or two that all the medical professionals I have seen don't seem to be seeing.

So, I will dissect my running shoe history for you here. Well, the last three pairs at least.

Shoe #1
Trained for Shut-In last year - ended up with incredible shin splints and hip flexor injury, as well as bilateral hip bursitis and a right labral "abnormality"
Consideration: increased mileage exponentially compared to any time in the past, and basically only ran uphill and hard for 3 months.

Shoe #2
Bought right before I got injured, but minimally ran on them to avoid injury. This was my come-back-to-running shoe this winter and spring. I probably have about 350 miles on them. 

Shoe #3
I got these right after DuPont half. I got these because I wanted the newest model. It wasn't really time, but I had heard to have two pairs and switch them out occasionally was good for you. (And who can pass up an excuse to buy a new pair of running shoes?) 


Well, as I write this blog, my conscious reminds me that I also went barefoot, and that maybe should count as a shoe choice:

Shoe #4:
Shoeless (I'll spare you the picture of my bare feet.)

Late last summer, I was made orthotics by a physical therapist because I pronate. Apparently I even pronate some just standing there, AND I have really high arches. Okay then. So I was instructed to wear the orthotics day in, day out - until my shins healed. I did last summer.

Chaco's everywhere around me. My favorite sandal, there at home, in the shoe bin, begging to be taken for a stroll. My toes needed some air, but I was a good patient. Kept the orthotics in. ALL SUMMER.

Well, I got to thinking today. After my barefoot stint with running, I stopped wearing my orthotics in my work shoes. (Possible culprit 1) I need some new ones, after just 10 hours my toes start to hurt from being squished in them. When I don't use the orthotics, my toes have enough room. I would just wear another pair to work, but it's not that easy. My shoes don't walk around an office. They often walk through urine, "super-bug" contagious infections, vomit, poop, blood... you name it. Maybe I need new work shoes too.

Back to the story... I did get those horrible shin splints after the two weeks on road. (Possible culprit 2)

Another interesting discovery... When I put pressure on the lateral side of my foot (where the orthotic makes me go) my shin splint hurts very badly. When I put pressure on the medial side of my foot, like the ball of the foot, or even just that medial side, my shin barely hutrs. So, it the orthotic helping or hurting? Conflincting evidence, right?

Excuse me for a second... (ARRRRRRGGGHH!!!!!!)

So again. Back to the question. Do I...
1. Start wearing orthotics at work? (I guess?)
2. Get new work shoes? (ASAP)
3. Get new running shoes? (inconclusive)
4. Keep icing multiple times a day? (Y)
5. Take off until triathlon on Sunday? (Y)
6. Beg for any input from friends, no matter what background (non-medical)? (Y)

Does anyone see some puzzle piece that is in plain sight that I can't seem to see anymore?

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could help more...but my non-professional opinions would be: 2-YES; 1-maybe; 3-6: you got it. And no exponential increases in mileage. No barefoot running until you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the case of the first shoe, I find the shoe not guilty of causing your injuries. Instead, I place the blame on the exponential increase in mileage.

    I would say: wear good shoes at work (but try it without orthotics for a while). Wear one pair of shoes for running (or two pairs, of the SAME shoes, alternating days). Make yourself take at least one day off (from running) per week. Don't increase your miles a lot, from one week to the next or from one month to the next.

    I am no fan of icing, except in the case of serious injury and vs. inflammation, etc. Then again, I have never had a serious case of shinsplints.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have actually put the orthotics back in at work, and have noticed a pretty decent improvement. I actually take three days off (at least) a week from running, because of my work schedule. I do agree with the first shoes not being the problem - the milage was then. Ken, do consider the Cascadia 4's and 5's the same shoe? Thanks again guys!

    ReplyDelete