"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Downfalls of attempted organization

Training schedules are constantly evolving for me. In fact, I just read today in Running Times that they have a new training plan personalization feature. I'm going to check it out this week. My current training schedule (Hal Higdon) has me at four days a week. I picked this one initially because it focuses more on the mileage and less on speed work. (I love speed work. I've been told of injury risk and experienced  it once post session though. I really think I go too fast for my true abilities.) Anyhow, the point is, I don't stick to schedules well. The reasons vary day-to-day.

I usually run alone and I love running alone, but once every week or two, it's nice to have company. I was talking with one of my running partners last week about this, we were discussing how the opportunity can often disrupt a training schedule. He was rearranging for travel and I was rearranging for him. But... it's a fun opportunity. How does one not take it? Running in company has nice benefits. In a long run, it makes me go slower. I often chat during these long runs and when you can barely control your breathing, talking doesn't work so well.

I seem to hurt a lot. Injury hurt, or verge of injury hurt. (See: I'd rather be running) So I take a few days and cross-train. Then my schedule is completely thrown. I've been training through two pains for the last 5 months, but I am able to keep training with them if I do it right.

I run enthusiastically because I love it. If I am feeling good, I am going to go run 8 miles. If I feel good the next day, I will do the same. By the third day, I have realized this may be detrimental, and cut it down to a five-miler. Fourth day, I cannot walk comfortably and I have to take off 5 days. Ugh. Seems like I could go for some self-control. Yeah, well I have gotten better. That's why I finally tried to start sticking to my training schedule - which is how this whole post started. I found a good quote for this. "I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom." - Anatole France

Another issue I have experienced is that I am not good at rearranging the week for races or schedule switch-ups. Races get me the most. They're always on long run day, and long run always gets sacrificed. So, I tack on a few miles to some other runs during the week. (The wrong thing to do, I know.)

I think this topic has come to be important to me because I am attempting to train for a marathon in early September. I don't feel I will be properly trained unless I follow the schedule. I am getting nervous about signing up for the full and am now considering the half. (But I'd love to do the full!)

I'll figure it all out. But for now... off for a run .. Ahhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment