"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Run on the Wildside

Well, after my experience with the Riverbound 10k, I did not have high hopes. I decided to relax, take my time, and enjoy a run on my own stomping ground. I went out relaxed and fairly slow. I know it took me about 1.5 miles to have to breathe with my mouth open. (This is one way I have learned to judge my efforts.) I felt great. I noticed how hard the people around me were breathing. I noticed how effortlessly I was breathing. My confidence increased.

Once we left the front of the Arboretum and went down the wide fire-road, we come up to Owl Ridge. I have a love of this section. It is flanked with pine trees and is part of the start of Shut-In. It gets pretty hilly here, which I thrive on. I powered by a few people here, without overdoing it. I still felt strong. I knew at the end of Owl Ridge, we took a left and had a nice downhill for at least a mile. I pushed hard to the end of this section. With one female I passed near then end, I shared the upcoming downhill, as a sort of apology to the passing. I don't know why I feel the need, but I do at times.

I kept pushing at a moderate/hard level. We got to the bottom of the hill and it turned to well-groomed, winding single-track. I had just passed a guy, and it had taken me a while to do on that downhill. Normally, I would be sure to give him space to pass if he wanted, however today, I decided to "run my own race". If he wanted to pass, he'd have to do it himself. I was not moving over for anyone for some reason. We ended up back on the wide fire-road, where I caught the next person. I could feel myself gaining strength with each passing. It was the exact opposite of Riverbound 10k. I felt like I was becoming mentally stronger, I felt badly passing people, but it felt good at the same time.

The last stretch was on pavement - I had three more people I wanted to get by. The girl was struggling, and one guy was waiting on her, so I knew those two would happen. I wanted to slow down. It was hot and sunny, but I knew the end was near. I pushed to the finish, with one guy a few seconds ahead of me. I didn't mind. I had given my all.

The race ended up being not an 8k, but 5.32 miles from my Garmin and up to 5.4 on others garmins. I wanted to break 40:00, and I would have if the course was accurate, so I was pleased. Garmin link: Run on the Wildside 8k I got 41:47. I ended up 3rd place female overall, 1st in my age group. 10th Overall out of almost 200. It felt great. I needed this race as a confidence booster to offset the last one. My mom was there for support and encouragement. It was a fabulous race on a beautiful course.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment