"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Friday, June 11, 2010

Before the love captured me: the backstory

I started a post about why it's hard to stick to training schedules, (shin splints, joints not used to impact) and ended up with a lot more about my sport history, so, here it is...

I grew up swimming. This is what we did. Year-round. From the time I was 8 until 18. This sport is not conducive to bone strengthening.
Freshman year of high school, I ran track. (I remember my track coach told me I had legs like a colt - my knees were too big for the diameter of my legs - thanks - how inspiring.) My legs are laughable at 28 - imagine at 14. I wasn't particularly fast. I remember my fastest mile was 6:50, followed by my first asthma attack. I also remember the day I ran...... F I V E miles. I was waiting for my mom to pick me up from school, so I just kept going. I remember still the feeling of accomplishment. I remember when I saw her pull up in the grey blazer, I couldn't wait to tell her how far I had gone. (I should have known then!) Anyways, this being my first sport of impact, I got horrible shin splints. They stayed with me the whole season.

I unsuccessfully tried soccer my senior year. (It was a nightmare - team sports are not my thing. I just remember running up and down the field near the sides to look like I was doing something. I was breathing hard and getting a cardiovascular workout, but the benefit was only my own.) I do not recall having shin splints at this time. I did swim throughout high school, however.


Spring semester, freshman year of college, I was on the Crew Club Team. I was too vertically challenged to be on the Lady Vols, plus, I was slow and not too powerful. In rowing, one uses their body weight to have power. I was at a disadvantage. This did have me doing coxswain here and there though. The light ones are good for that. Anyways, no bone strengthening here really either. No impact. We would run now and then around the boathouse. I always enjoyed it for two reasons: The first day I joined, I beat all the other girls. I was told that one of the girls was fast and to just stop when she stopped (I think 7 laps was a mile, it got confusing). Well, I passed her and made a great first impression on my coach. Secondly, I loooooved running in the dark morning with a group of girls. We had to be there at 5am. I remember one morning one girl didn't show up, so we had to run from the boathouse, across the Henley St. Bridge and over to campus to get her, then run back. I had an absolute blast. (It was probably about 5 miles.) I think I spent 2 semesters rowing - therein ended that excursion. (Spring 2001-2002)

Summer 2004 was my first true experiment with running. You know, the self-motivated, this-is-my-inspired-adult-life kind of running. I actually had a great time doing it. I remember 3 weeks in, I told myself that if I was still running, I could get a "real pair" of running shoes. (I had heard that 21 days makes a habit.) I had driven by the running store time and time again. Ooh, the Runner's Market...  so intriguing. I went in with quite a running enthusiasm. I assume this is why they took the shoe size I gave them as true. Looking back, going home with a pair of size 7's should not have happened. (I currently wear an 8 running shoe.) But hey, I didn't know better. I just knew I was proud for picking the uglier pair because they were more comfortable.

I would get kind of dizzy at times, so I checked my pulse and discussed it with student health. It seemed to be over 200 - well over 200. They told me to get a heart rate monitor and walk once it got to 200. Turns out it would get in the 220's pretty often. I don't know how far I would go. I remember one day - one hot day - I outran my friend's dog. He got hot and tired so I ran him back to his house and I kept running. I'd guess in the arena of 6 miles that day. Most days were probably 2-4. (Side note: I also smoked cigarettes at this time. Ahh, college.)

7/3/04: I decided to do the Fireball 5k with my friend Leslie. It was a late evening run, ended with 4th of July fireworks. It was an out-and-back along the river. I don't remember much about the race, except that I ran with Leslie. I was in no hurry. I didn't push myself. I just ran. I do remember the kick at the end though. I was relaxed and rested - saw the finish line so I picked it up considerably. It felt good. (I can't imagine how I looked sprinting at the end of a 32:11 5k.)

I had started a new job at Children's Hospital ER, where apparently a number of the staff were "runners". Hey, I ran a 5k - maybe I can be a "runner" too. I remember one day some of the nurses were talking - they were going to do a race. Hmmm, that would be fun! But... what? How far? A 10k??? I told them I had never run that far, but they convinced me to come anyways. So I did.

7/14/04: The Carter Mill Classic in Strawberry Plains. I arrived with a group of three other runners. It was cool and foggy when we got there. I had maybe 5% of the competitiveness I have now. I jogged along - it was BEAUTIFUL. It was an out-and-back on an old country road, lined with farms and fences. The first half at least was cool and foggy. I walked with one of the group members, Shannon, for a little bit - to show her support. I knew I could keep running though, so I excused myself, wished her a great run and saw her at the finish line. I remember coming down the last stretch. I could barely see the clock. Was I going to break one hour? Along the side, was Gary - one of the nurses cheering me in. It felt great!!! I came off with a 59:18. Somehow, I got third in my age group! I got a sport towel with a logo. Some prizes are better than others. Now, I would love to say that this race had me hooked. Sadly, although I still remember the experience like it was yesterday, it did not keep me.

My running life dwindled to nothing by October. I didn't understand why one would run in the winter and wasn't going to try. That was the end of it. Or so I thought. :)

3 comments:

  1. Nice story so far - wonder where it goes from there?! Not fast with a 6:50 mile? Ha. Sounds like you're a little competitive. I know nothing about that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not competitive!!! Haha! I guess I don't really have a gauge for speed in the mile honestly. I just figure I should be able to go faster now since my 5k pace is 7:07. God though, I worked so hard for that 6:50. I think mom was there that day too... I wonder if she remembers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Brian - my 5k twin - yours is too...

    ReplyDelete