"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Riverbound Race Series 10k

I had done well with the 5k. It was a small race - first in a new series. For the 10k, I mistakenly expected the same. Talking with my friend Christina, (who I had first met at the 5k) I was convinced to start out fast. (Take note, she is a much stronger and faster runner than me.)

There is about 0.3 miles to get your spot before it turns into the tight single-track. I wanted my spot near the front. As it happens, I went out too fast. Completely too fast. Two miles in, I was ready to give up - walk - and not quickly. People began passing me about mile 3. It was hot, it was humid, it was miserable. I had never encountered such negative self-talk in the two years of my running life. I know at one point, I had decided to give up running completely. I asked myself why I chose (and paid) to do this to myself. There was one huge hill in the middle - I am good at hills, usually they are my strongest part. I kept my spot on the hill, but as it leveled out that was the end of it. As people passed me - girls especially - I felt myself become mentally defeated, time and time again. I did end up walking quite a bit - maybe 0.5 miles total. I was so happy to see that finish line.
I found Christina after the race, and she did make me feel better. Apparently the same negative head-space was occupying her too. It wasn't just me! Ahh! It's a bad run! They happen! I'm okay - I will still be able to be a runner!

Ended up fourth in my age group, 11/83 female overall. Disappointed with the outcome. I know I'll may never win, but trails are my love - just expected more. But I did come out with the knowledge that bad races will make you want to quit. I had heard but not experienced this before. Thankfully I am back to running - just took an hour mental break from it. Much needed mental break.
 
Here is my garmin link to the race:

No comments:

Post a Comment